Built in 1853, the three floors of the Bastion were skillfully crafted using traditional wood working techniques by workers of the Hudson’s Bay Company. Over the years, politics and land deals saw this sturdy wooden fort moved twice. Today it is Nanaimo’s most recognizable landmark.
While the Bastion’s timbers are original, the interior represents activities of the early mining post from 1853 – 1862. Today, this former Hudson’s Bay Company building is a symbol of Nanaimo’s history. The Bastion is a “must see” destination for visitors to Nanaimo.
The Bastion is open 7 days a week from May long weekend through Labour Day. Group tours of the Bastion are available for booking during the off-season.
Please Note: Due to COVID-19 the Bastion will be closed for the Summer 2020 season. Cannon firings will still occur at 12 noon on Fridays, Saturdays and Stat Holidays until Labour Day.
For more information about the Bastion